Tuesday, May 22, 2007

If I could trade a voice with another



It would be hers, Astrud Gilberto. Years ago I spent every Wednesday night at Expressions, a club in downtown Raleigh. There I met musicians and artists, and a man whose name I can't remember right now. He was from Brazil and working in the states, and he taught me to play this song on the guitar. He talked mostly about the simplicity of the chord changes, and how in this style of jazz, you move your fingers on the fret board very little. Later I found out about another musician who was influenced by the same style, Suzanne Vega.

2 comments:

sean coon said...

so sultry... her voice reminded me of the stan getz collab "The Girl of Ipanema" and after a quick youtube search, well, whadya know...

Molly McGinn said...

What a funny little video, snow and shorts and all.

I read somewhere that she was a reluctant singer, and funny thing is it makes her even better.