Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Music makes kids jump higher, too

“In a recent study, 4 to 6 year olds in a music and movement program showed more growth in motor skills than those in a standard physical education program. ... [Researchers] placed 50 children in an experimental music and movement program, and 42 in a traditional physical education program. After 8 weeks, the experimental group had improved significantly in both jumping and dynamic balance skills when compared to their peers in the traditional program.”
Early Childhood Research Quarterly (Vol. 19, Issue #4, 2004).

Now let's just take a moment here. I've had parents in class talk about how much their kid learns in Little Gym or Tumble Bus (how is that not a liability?) and I've never had a response on the tip of my tongue. Now I do. Aherm.

If you want a copy of the article, let me know and I’ll email it to you.

No comments: